kids and sports

By Yolanda Zellous on 6:49 AM

Filed Under:

Can someone answer this?Listen, We didnt put my son in any sports when he was younger. Whenever I asked if he wanted to do a sport he said no. I didnt want to push him into anything. Now he is 16 in the marching band and he tells me that I should have forced him to takeup a sport .. he said "You are the parent" We should have forced him into a sport..Am I wrong? Should we force our kids 2 take sports.

2 comments for this post

Tijuan

I don't think you should have forced him. However, I do feel its parents responsibility to expose kids to a variety of different things at a young age. If they find its something they like/love then they'll continue to pursue it. If not, they'll move on to the next thing. When I started college I was exposed to so many different things. Things I had no idea I was interested in. I began performing with many talented dancers and actors who had been performing for many years. I felt I was at a disadvantage to a certain extent. One I felt would have been different if I would have been introduced to a variety of things as a child. In my opinion you don't have to force them to like it or do it but expose them to as many things as possible at an early age.

Posted on November 17, 2009 at 12:48 PM  
Brenda

My husband and I forced our son to play football, basketball and baseball. After being on several teams and realizing that he was not excited about sports, we did not make him play anymore. Your son is sixteen, if he has regrets about not playing sports, he can still play high school football, basketball, tennis or whatever sports his school or community offers. Don't allow him to make you feel guilty about the pass when he has the rest of high school and college to engage in sports. Continue to love and encourage, but do not allow him to become bitter or angry about what did not happen in the past. None of us can change the past.

Posted on June 3, 2010 at 5:23 AM